Are stress, worries and a disrupted routine robbing your sleep?
Getting 7-8 hours of sleep each night not only leaves you more energized and better prepared to deal with stress – it also lowers your risk to many diseases! So let’s be proactive and stay healthy so we can support our families, loved ones and be strong for our communities!
Here is Part 3 of our series of health and wellness tips – make sure to LIKE our Facebook page and LIKE & SHARE our posts so you don’t miss out on the next one! All health tips can be found here on this blog as well.
HOW DO I RECOGNIZE THERE MAY BE A PROBLEM Chronic lack of sleep is not always straight forward to recognize! Here are some of the signs:
difficulty falling asleep or waking up in the morning
’zoning out’ during a conversation or a task
altered memory or judgement
difficulty making even simple decisions
clumsiness and/or slower reaction times
feeling emotional for no apparent reason
snoring / sleep apnea
waking up frequently during the night with difficulty returning to sleep
KEEP ON READING FOR SOME SIMPLE and FREE SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO TRY AND BREAK THE CYCLE!
1. MAINTAIN CONSISTENT BED-TIME and WAKE-UP HOURS This is important right now, when our routines are different and often may not even have a set daily schedule.
2. AVOID CAFFEINE within 4-8 HOURS OF BEDTIME This includes coffee, tea, pop and even chocolate!
3. EXERCISE REGULARLY – BUT AVOID INTENSE ACTIVITY WITHIN 3 HOURS OF BEDTIME
4. AVOID EATING A BIG MEAL WITHIN 2 HOURS OF BEDTIME
5. AVOID STRESSFUL OR NOISY DISTRACTIONS WHEN TRYING TO SLEEP such as noisy clocks, uncomfortable clothing, bright lights
6. AVOID ALCOHOL CONSUMPTION WITHIN 2 HOURS OF BEDTIME
7. CREATE A RELAXING BEDTIME ROUTINE such as a bath, reading a book, listening to music, relaxation techniques
8. GET OUT OF BED IF YOU DO NOT FALL ASLEEP WITHIN 15-20 MINUTES – and return to bed only if you are sleepy again
9. BAN ELECTRONICS such as TV, CELL PHONE, TABLETS etc. from your bedroom
10. TRY HERBAL RELAXATION AIDS such as essential oils (lavender, valerian, lemon balm or hops).
PLEASE If you are having difficulties managing the current situation and you or a loved one needs help from a health care professional – GIVE US A CALL!!
Your mental and physical health and well being matters – especially during times of challenge and uncertainty, and when your regular exercise and health care routine may be disrupted. WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!
Our Naturopathic Doctors in Saskatoon & Melfort are able to connect with you via video conference no matter where you are, and develop a health and wellness plan for you, so you do not have to leave the comfort and safety of your home. CONSULTS ARE COVERED BY EXTENDED HEALTH INSURANCE.
ASK US FOR OUR RECOMMENDATIONS ON SUPPLEMENTS AND OTHER NUTRITIONAL INFO THAT CAN HELP WITH STRESS, WEIGHT GAIN, SLEEP DISTURBANCE & UNHEALTHY EATING HABITS!
We have extremely high standards when it comes to selecting top of the line products – anything we recommend is fully endorsed by our doctors, safe, trusted and comes with proven results.
DO NOT ACCEPT ILLNESS!